In case you missed Mary’s post yesterday, we are sharing what a typical day looks like for each of us. In doing this we wanted to let you know that we too are trying to find a healthy balance daily. It is not easy. We never want to give you the idea that we have it all figured out or that we have loads of free time to dedicate to a healthy lifestyle. We are trying to make it work in our personal lives on a day to day basis, and we are allowing the healthy choices to become a part of our daily routine. We hope you can begin to see your specific circumstances and realize that you too can make healthy choices in the midst of a very fast paced culture.
So what does my life look like? You know what…I actually never really know until the end of each day. I own my own business and am an independent graphic designer. I also blog daily (here and over on my personal blog) and shoot photography sessions semi-regularly. I’ll try to give you the most generic/typical day in hopes that you can get some tips or learn from my mistakes! My daily schedule is VERY different compared to Mary’s but I hope that we can connect with various lifestyles!
I usually wake up around 10:00am. I promise I’m not lazy. I’m a night owl and usually work until 2am each night. Not the healthiest part of my life (especially because my husband goes to bed earlier or would like to go to bed earlier since he often has meetings earlier in the morning). I become extremely productive around 10:00pm every night and usually capitalize on that surge of energy. I still prioritize 8 hours of sleep though! So when I wake up, I usually take Desh (my dog) outside, make a cup of coffee with my aeropress and read or check emails. Then if I’m good – I’ll juice some veggies and a piece of fruit or make my favorite quinoa breakfast. Or would that be brunch? After I eat, I make phone calls and work on revisions for my clients.
By noon, I start any meetings that I might have. Sometimes I head of to clients’ offices, meet someone at a coffee shop or work from Mission (my favorite) while catching up with other independent creatives. I tend to do a lot of my interacting and socializing in the afternoon. I also tend to book a lot of photo sessions around 11am or into the later afternoon.
Since I don’t wake up super early, I get hungry for lunch around 2:00-3:00pm. We always have pulled pork in the refrigerator or a batch of quinoa. I pretty much eat whatever I didn’t have for breakfast. So if I had quinoa “porridge” for breakfast, I’ll juice and eat some pork + veggies for lunch! I usually take an hour break for lunch and will catch up on a tv show, take a walk with the dog or clean up around the townhouse. If I’m craving a treat, I’ll drink a probiotic drink or a cup of tea. I honestly love it more than soda or juice! Then I go back to working until…
We eat dinners late! Whether we are meeting friends at a restaurant or cooking at home, it’s usually no earlier than 7pm. I’ll cook with Adam while we listen to music. Our current favorite dinner: porkchops, brussels sprouts with almonds/bacon, and squash! We like to spend a good amount of time chatting during dinner. It’s one of my favorite parts of my day. If we don’t have a lot of work, we’ll see friends or watch tv.
As you might have read a week or so ago, Mary and I aren’t perfect when it comes to working out. BUT when I do workout consistently, I like to go to the gym around 9:00pm. It’s pretty empty and I get all the equipment to myself. I do a high intensity workout for 20-30 minutes. A circuit consisting of 30 seconds on…30 seconds off. I can walk home if it’s not too freezing and I feel great! If I don’t feel like going to the gym, I might just stretch or do kettlebell swings at our place. Then I either take the night off or work once Adam is asleep! Good thing I love what I do!
Like I said above. My days are consistently different. Some days I wake up at 8:00am for meetings. Some days I take off work entirely because I stayed up 24 hours straight to meet a deadline! No matter what, there are things that I do no matter what my schedule looks like:
- We drink A LOT of water. Like 20 gallons a month, I believe. We have a water cooler at our place since we both work from home and we were always running out of ice cubes.
- I mentioned it above but I always prioritize sleep. Even if that means my days look a lot different than others’ days.
- If I can’t get vitamin D naturally (from the sun), I take a supplement. Find out more about vitamin D here.
- I eat gluten-free and cook grain-free. I also avoid all processed sugar and limit my fruit intake to fruits like berries, kiwi and an occasional mango because they’re amazing.
- I stay moisturized like it’s my second full-time job. I think I’ll single handedly keep Lush in business forever.
- No matter how much travel or crazy deadlines I’m experiencing – I stay sane and feeling healthy when I’m conscious of what I’m eating. When I eat clean, I feel good. For me that means whole, REAL food. Nothing processed or in a box.
- I make sure I’m spending a lot of time with Adam. He’s my best friend and we’re so lucky to both work from home! Some days we don’t see each other until dinner (it’s rare) but I love working in the same office as he does.
How do you all try to make healthy lifestyle choices in the midst of your ever changing schedules and demands? Life is hectic isn’t it?