Aloha! Greetings from Oahu! I’m here vacationing with my family for 8 days and I’m absolutely loving it. Mary and I thought it would be fun for me to post a quick update while I’m here and share some advice so that you can stay healthy while on vacation! I believe it’s pretty easy to do but it’s also okay to indulge a bit too. Here are a few tips:
- Hit up a local grocery store or market when you arrive. Stock up on the normal foods that you usually eat for breakfast and lunch. If you’re staying somewhere with a kitchen – go all out! We have one here and I bought quinoa, peanut butter, cheese, kombucha and gluten-free mac n’ cheese! If we don’t have a kitchen on vacation then I usually buy KIND or Lara Bars or fruit instead.
- Bring comfortable shoes. Now walk! We walk a lot on our trips and it sucks when your feet hurt. I didn’t bring comfortable sandals on this trip to Hawaii and I am now in the market for some after 3 days! We’ve been walking a lot and hardly use our rental car (which I love).
- Use services like Yelp or local review sites to find restaurants! Lately we’ve been eating at places with great Yelp reviews. We’ve hit up a Thai food truck, lots of local seafood joints and so much amazing ice cream. I love the focus on local foods here in Hawaii.
- Easy on the drinks. I know a lot of people look forward to drinking alcohol while on vacation but so many of them are loaded with sugar. I had a pina colada yesterday and it was (omg) so sweet. A great treat for sure but I didn’t need to drink 8 in a row. I still stick with a glass of wine at night but try to keep myself up and active during the day.
- Indulge. Sometimes that means eating flavored shave ice for lunch. Sometimes that means getting a massage. Sometimes that means going to bed at 8pm! It can mean a lot of different things for different people. Figure out what you need to do to indulge and then DO IT. Don’t feel guilty!
- Try something new. I get intimidated by a lot of physical activities. Read our post here about our struggles with fitness. I don’t naturally gravitate towards a yoga class on the beach, snorkeling with dolphins or jumping off a cliff into the ocean. This week I’m working on trying something new. I’ll keep you posted on what that is!
Do you try to stay healthy while vacationing? Or do you just take a break from your regular routine? We’d love to hear your experiences!